Upgrade Python to 3.7
After the new stable release of Linux/Debian 10 (Buster) we will update OpenAtlas to use newer libraries, e.g. upgrade:
- Python from 3.5 to 3.7
- Flask from 0.12 to 1.0
- PostgreSQL from 9.6 to 11.4
- PostGIS from 2.3 to 2.5
- Jinja2 from 2.7 to 2.10
The release will take some time because the newer versions including related packages have to be installed on servers, the application has to be adapted and thoroughly tested.
Since the changes will involve also server upgrades the major OpenAtlas version will be raised to 4.0.0
To make use of newer features available in Python 3.7 the code base will be rewritten, e.g.
- Changed path for entity views to: /entity/id for a more consistence system
- Use of path libraries to make OpenAtlas installations on other operating systems (e.g. Windows) possible
- Dictionaries now keep the order of insertions so no need to use OrderedDict anymore which allows for cleaner code
- Test class of entities when requested in views (e.g. if an actor update view was called with an event id)
- Use of the new Python data classes
The release will be around New Year 2019/2020.