Dates with hours, minutes and seconds
The INDIGO project will need dates with hours and minutes because if the data is already available (e.g. timestamps of pictures taken) we should track it.
We already use timestamp without time zone in the PostgreSQL database but we have to think about how to implement it in the user interface.
ImplementationWe could call the option: dates_with_time and implement it similar to e.g. the "sub units" option:
- Add this option at admin/modules to set a default for new user
- Add this option at profile/modules for users to override
- Forms: display 3 additional fields (hours/minutes/seconds) for dates if activated OR a time is already entered
- Validate and process forms accordingly
- Entity detail views: display time if not 00:00:00
- Update the manual accordingly
- Adaptions at the API? (not sure if needed)
Updated by Alexander Watzinger 25 days ago
As discussed, for API output I suggest to return dates with time. The API should deliver the raw data, formatting should happened where it is needed (e.g. presentation sites). I also linked this issue as related to #1675 because there, the API functionality changes anyway.
As API output format I suggest 2022-05-31 00:00:00 but not sure how to best format BC dates.