- main - the stable version used in productive environments. It is the latest release version which is tested and, to our knowledge, bug-free.
- develop - here the latest development branches are joined when they are finished. At a release the develop branch is merged into the main branch.
- feature_ - e.g. feature_user_profile_images
- fix_ - e.g. fix_map_bug
If working on a new feature/fix:
- Start with a new branch from develop and call it feature_something or fix_something
git checkout develop git checkout -b feature_something
- Implement changes, commit
git add . git commit -m "Implemented feature something"
- Merge develop regularly to your branch to keep merge conflicts to a minimum but at least before merging back
git merge develop
- Make sure that all tests pass, ideally have 100% coverage and Mypy checks are passing too
- Document database changes (see below) and add translations if needed
- Merge your branch to develop
git checkout develop git merge feature_something
Around once a month a new version is released where the develop branch is merged into the main branch.
If there are database changes make sure that
- there is a comment with the issue number at the SQL update script (e.g. at install/upgrade/3.12.0.sql)
- that the issue is noted at util/changelog.py
That way it's easier to deal with updates in the develop branch when dealing with multiple new features which need database updates.