These are the archived notes for the OpenAtlas poster implemented by our graphic designer Jan (#2015).
- Audience: Interested scientists from the Humanities (and beyond)
- Usage: conferences, presentations, our office, ...
- Date: 2023-06-14 for INDIGO workshop would be nice, 2023-06-26 would be deadline to submit for printing at the DH at 2023-07-10
- Printing: 10 or 12 at the first run, Jan will kindly take care of this too
Content¶For inspiration you can take a look at the poster from Nina
- OpenAtlas logo
- Title: OpenAtlas - A Database System for the Humanities and Beyond
- Tagline: Easily Manage your Research Data
- Institute logos: OpenAtlas, (developed by) OEAW (https://www.oeaw.ac.at/oeai/presse/hintergrundinfos/logo), ACDH-CH, NHM (logo order!)
- Core features (To be defined)
- Font Poppins
- Poster size A0 (90x120 cm)
- Use OpenAtlas site design as inspiration (e.g. "coorporate design") and/or adapt OpenAtlas site as well
Core features draft¶
There should be 3 to 5 sections about important core features. We first collect these (feel free to add) and weight, refine content, ... them later.
Newest strategy would be to use attributes, see below
- Image: Model graphic (ṕng, odg), but only a smaller selection so that it is still readable
The data model specifies the structure in which the information is stored within the database. The use of an ontology, for example, allows the data to be combined more easily with information from other projects and is consistent with the FAIR principles. The OpenAtlas Model is based on the international standard of CIDOC CRM, an ontology widely used within the field of humanities.
- Image: a map with markers from one project (e.g. demo places) or a map with grave outlines e.g. a search result at https://thanados.net
Places with known location can be entered into an interactive map based on Leaflet, which features different view layers, allows for zooming, fullscreen mode, clustering, searching and much more. PostGIS is used for creating and manipulating spatial data. Therefore, it is possible to enter location as needed as multiple points, lines, areas and shapes.
- Image: network view
Person and Groups with their biographical information can be connected with different properties and in hierarchically order, forming a complex network of actors. Actors can act through different kinds of events (e.g. Activity, Production, Acquisition, ...) forming their life story and how they are connected to other Actors and also Places and Artifacts.
- Images: logos from used software, GeoNames, Wikidata, Vocabs, ...
- Text keywords
- Only standard open source software
- Import, export
- LOD ready
- Image: maybe one from https://thanados.net, skeletons from https://demo.openatlas.eu/static/manual/entity/place.html
- Fully customizable type system
- Archeological features like subunits, radiocarbon dating, sex estimation
- Solutions for uncertainty in space and time
- Extensive user manual